Medical abortion is when you take a medication to stop a
pregnancy from continuing. You may also hear the terms
“medication abortion”, “pill abortion” or “termination of
pregnancy”. There are two (2) types of medications that you
take: Mifepristone & Misoprostol (as Mifegymiso). This is
the worldwide gold standard for medical abortion.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- You will make an appointment to review the procedure
with one of our providers
- You may need to take a blood test or ultrasound before
having medication to document timing of pregnancy
- Medication is a reasonable option for up to nine (9) weeks
HOW EFFECTIVE IS THE MEDICATION?
The medication is up to 95% effective in terminating the
pregnancy with no need for further follow-up.
About 0.5% of abortions will fail and require surgical
procedure if the pregnancy is still growing. We follow all
abortions through final stages to make sure you are no
longer pregnant, and clinic follow-up is very important.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF A MEDICAL ABORTION?
- Very effective and safe method for early pregnancies
- Avoid surgical procedure (anesthesia, instrumentation,
vaccuum aspiration, etc)
- May not need to have an ultrasound performed prior to
undergoing medical abortion
- May be able to pass off symptoms as a “miscarriage” if
that is important to you
- Can be at home with a support instead of at a clinic or
hospital, which is sometimes more comfortable & private
- If you are in a remote area, we can also treat you virtually
where you do not have to come into clinic (however some
lab testing or ultrasound may be required)
- No effect on longterm fertility/future pregnancy
WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF A MEDICAL ABORTION?
- May be unpredictable - and uncertainity about when
you will bleed or pass the pregnancy
- Bleeding can be heavier & longer than surgical abortion
- Cramping can be stronger/longer than surgical abortion
- At least two (2) appointments are required
- May need to undergo lab blood test & ultrasound
- Failure rate is higher than with surgical abortion
- There are some health reasons you would not qualify for
a medical abortion
- You must be less than 9 weeks pregnant at our clinic to
have a medical abortion
SIDE EFFECTS OF MEDICATION?
There are very few side effects from Mifepristone (which
stops the pregnancy from continuing). The Misoprostol
medication expulses the pregnancy products, so you can
expect bleeding, moderate-severe cramping lasting a few
hours, and sometimes flu-like symptoms, nausea, diarrhea,
headaches, fever and chills. Many patients do report no
side effects at all, and we will prescribe medication to help
alleviate side effects.
WHO SHOULD NOT HAVE A MEDICAL ABORTION?
- Anemia (low iron in the blood)
- Severe asthma requiring steroid medications
- Bleeding disorders or blood clotting problems
- Allergic to any of the medications
- If you are more than 9-10 weeks pregnant
- Possible ectopic pregnancy
- Chronic adrenal failure
- Undecided with how to proceed with pregnancy
WANT TO DISCUSS FURTHER?
Book an appointment with one of our PRO-CHOICE
providers to help you with the process, and start
the procedure at any time.